Bofur Cosplay Refs And Help!
Endearing and likable, Bofur has a disastrous tendency to state the obvious and blurt out things without thinking. With a love of music and a fine singing voice, Bofur delights in good food and good company and is unfailingly optimistic. Though not especially brave, he will do his best to help those in need, especially those he counts as friends. Along with his brother Bombur and his cousin Bifur, Bofur joined the Quest for the Lonely Mountain partly to seek his fortune – and partly because he was told the beer was free.
Bofur is easily my favourite dwarf so I had a lot of fun finding and scanning things for this post. :)
• Coat. Like with most of the dwarf costumes, Bofur’s coat is highly detailed. It’s a light brown, tan colour with dwarf markings and verticle stripes. It’s finishes above the knees and curves inward. It has no sleeves as far as I can see. There are bones/beads/wood pieces on the shoulders. It is kept together with strings in the middle.
Now with most of these costumes you might need to dabble in sewing. For markings, if you have a sleeves coat already perhaps either embroider, stamp or fabric paint the markings on. As for fabric type, its hard to tell based on the pictures, so use your own judgement.
Alternatively you could make the sleeves of the shirt as part of the coat instead.
• Shirt. Bofur wears a tan, long sleeve shirt under his coat. If you can’t make one, can’t find one that colour, find one similiar in white and dye it. His shirt is quite long but as yours would be under the coat, it doesn’t need to be that long. Underneath, his shirt has a brown belt of fabric tied around his waist.
• Pants. Its hard based on pictures and the movie to tell if his pants are just short and stop before his shoes start or he wears longer ones underneath that are tucked into his shoes. These are a very light brown. So any pants or shorts that colour will do. If he does wear longer ones underneath, its these that have the gold triangles over the knees.
• Shoes. Your best bet for shoes are ugg boots and either leave them as they are or add fake fur around the top. If you wear something under the pants then they will need to be able to be tucked into the shoes.
• Hat. The hat! I love the hat so much. It’s an ear hat :P. Now, you can buy hats similiar to this if you live somewhere that actually gets cold, they are called deerstalkers and no not the sherlock kind. Otherwise you will have to buy or make this.
Buy it here if you want a cheap costume one. This etsy store may also be able to make you a knitted one if you ask nicely.
There are also tutorials that exist to help to make your own. There’s one here and here. Hunt around the internet and tumblr for other patterns. The stitching on the hat is possibly faggot stitching.
• Scarf. Bofur’s scarf is blue, red, grey and yellowybrown. It’s long enough to be wound around the neck a couple of times. An scarf in yellowybrown will do if you are unable to make or buy this scarf.
But tutorials/patterns also exist! Find one awesome one here. The same store may also make your the scarf if you order it.
• Fingerless Gloves. Bofurs are a light grey. Gloves can be found at op shops and stores during winter, simply cut the fingers off. You could also try for grey gloves online.
There are also patterns!! Here again from the same awesome store. Again, you can order these. Another tutorial is here.
• Bofur’s Awesome Earring. That’s right, an earring! It’s believed to be whalebone or something similiar, topped with a silver cap in Bofur’s family markings. This can be brought here or make your own with modelling clay or papermache or wood, etc! It’s supposed to be a claw, though of what remains to be seen.
Sometimes you see those necklaces with fake claws and you could remove those and put it on an earring hook.
• Bofurs Miner Mattock. Or his pickaxe. Unfortunatly I can’t find these for sale online not even in larp stores. So you would have to make this. And I can’t find tutorials either, however weapons can be made with anything from craft foam, paper mache, cardboard, resin, etc. So consult general weapons tutorials for ideas on how to make this.
• Belt. It’s thick and white. An existing belt will do with white fabric covering it. A small brown bag hangs of the side. Check op shops for little hand bags that can be tied onto the belt. Or make your own, just make sure its not in flimsy thin fabric. This is handy for cons as well, so you can store important little things inside.
• Bofur’s Flute. In the book he plays the clarinet but it was changed to a flute in the movie. It is best described as a tin flute which can be found at music stores and online.
• Wig and Beard. Bofur’s hair is a dark brown done up in pippy longstocking style. Buy a brown wig and style it into plaits. Wire may be needed to make them stick out as his do, but be careful with this. His beard is little more than a goatee. He also has a thick moustache that curls at the end. Now…in the movie they are made with yak fur but that may be a little hard to get lol.
I suggest either using crepe hair or cutting wig hair and styling it into a moustache and spirit gumming both into the areas needed. Crepe hair can be brought here, here and here. I’m sure there are other stores.
Tutorials for general wig styling can be found here.
Wow I’m exhausted after all that! If you have any more questions, just hit my ask and I’ll do my best!